WIT’s Board of Directors seeks creative go-getters to help take WIT to the next level
WIT’s Board of Directors is seeking nominations for new board members. If you are passionate about WIT, value what improv has to offer DC, and/or are looking for a meaningful way to have an impact in the city, this may be the perfect opportunity for you. Apply below for consideration, or nominate someone you know.
NOMINATE YOURSELF OR SOMEONE ELSE
Who should apply?
The board seeks people with a diverse range of experience and backgrounds. Of particular interest are people who bring some of the following:
- Expertise in development and fundraising for nonprofits, experience with major capital campaigns is a plus.
- Organizational connections, institutional marketing mentality, and big professional and/or social networks.
- Experience with event planning and management, specifically for fundraisers.
- Community leadership and experience connecting arts programs with communities.
- Commercial real estate knowledge; including experience with lease negotiations, tenant build-out, and construction financing.
- Management and operations experience; we are looking for a broad range of non-profit management, organizational, and policy backgrounds.
- A legal and/or compliance background, specifically involving DC non-profit regulations and requirements.
Residents from throughout the DMV are welcome to apply. Board members are expected to attend approximately five in-person board meetings in DC each year and to stay engaged with the local community. However, the most important qualifications for a new board member are dedication, a willingness to participate actively (especially in fundraising efforts), and enthusiasm. You can learn more about WIT’s board here.
Why join WIT’s board?
- Serve and give back to the WIT community
- Network with other board professionals
- Help maximize WIT’s positive impact on the city we live in
- You’ll learn a lot!
What our board members say:
- “You can have a true impact working with WIT on a board level”
- “It’s a trusting team where people contribute their impressive skills and are willing to ask hard questions about what it means to be an organization in this particular place and time. It is a high functioning team on an emotional as well as business level – a rare thing!”
- “It’s a powerful community of creative, empathetic, civically engaged people who want to apply their time and talents to improving the lives and experiences of those around them through creative expression and art.”
- “It’s rewarding to help a local arts organization that generates so much connection and positivity, with its classes on the side of the house. Improv has value to everyone. It is a whip smart and creative board — not just cool, fun people.”
What does it take to serve on the WIT board?
Board Member responsibilities include:
- Serve a three-year term (2023-26).
- Attend Board meetings approx. five times a year (typically on Saturdays or Sundays) and actively serve on at least one WIT Board Committee. Current committees are Finance, Development, Governance, Executive, Marketing, AntiRacism and Antioppression Task Force, and a WIT@Work Advisory Group.
- Give an annual gift of at least $500, actively use networks to pursue personal donations and corporate sponsorships to meet board’s fundraising goals
You can read more about Board member roles and responsibilities here: Board member job description.
How to be considered?
Nominations for this year’s class will be accepted through Monday, February 27, 2023, at 11:59 PM. Please complete the nomination form below, If you have nominated yourself, please send a CV and a short personal statement on why you wish to be a Board member and any specific interests you have to the Governance Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.