WIT’s Board of Directors seeks enterprising collaborators to help take WIT to the next level
WIT’s Board of Directors is seeking nominations for new board members. If you are passionate about WIT, value what improv has to offer DC, and/or are looking for a meaningful way to have an impact in the city, this may be the perfect opportunity for you. Apply below for consideration, or nominate someone you know.
Who should apply?
The board is seeking people with a diverse range of experience and backgrounds. Of particular interest are people with expertise in the following areas:
- Development and fundraising for nonprofits, experience with major capital campaigns is preferred.
- Organizational connections, institutional marketing mentality, & big networks.
- Event planning and management, specifically for fundraisers.
- Community leaders, ability to influence our art to represent the communities we serve and experience connecting arts programs with communities.
- Commercial real estate; specifically experience in construction financing.
- Management and operations; we are looking for a broad range of non-profit management, organizational, and policy experience.
- Legal and/or compliance, specifically DC non-profit regulations and requirements.
Non-DC residents are welcome to apply, although all board members are expected to attend in-person board meetings in DC and stay engaged with the local community. However, the most important qualifications for a new board member are dedication, a willingness to participate actively (especially in fundraising efforts), and enthusiasm.
Why join WIT’s board?
- Serve and give back to the WIT community
- Network with other board professionals
- Help maximize WIT’s positive impact on the city we live in
- You’ll learn a lot!
What our board members say:
- “You can have a true impact working with WIT on a board level”
- “It’s a trusting team where people contribute their impressive skills and are willing to ask hard questions about what it means to be an organization in this particular place and time. It is a high functioning team on an emotional as well as business level – a rare thing!”
- “It’s a powerful community of creative, empathetic, civically engaged people who want to apply their time and talents to improving the lives and experiences of those around them through creative expression and art.”
- “It’s rewarding to help a local arts organization that generates so much connection and positivity, with its classes on the side of the house. Improv has value to everyone. It is a whip smart and creative board — not just cool, fun people.”
What does it take to serve on the WIT board?
Board Member responsibilities include:
- Serve a three-year term (2022-25).
- Attend Board meetings approx. five times a year (typically on Sundays) and actively serve on at least one WIT Board Committee. Current committees are Finance, Development, Governance, Executive, Marketing, and Space Exploration
- Give an annual gift of at least $500, actively use networks to pursue personal donations and corporate sponsorships to meet board’s fundraising goals
You can read more about Board member roles and responsibilities here: Board member job description.
How to be considered?
Nominations for this year’s class will be accepted through Friday, March 11 at 11:59 PM. Please complete the nomination form below, If you have nominated yourself, please send a CV and a short personal statement on why you wish to be a Board member and any specific interests you have to the Governance Committee at email@example.com.