Want to make a difference? Join WIT’s Board of Directors
Are you ready to lead with purpose and contribute to a mission-driven organization? Are you dedicated to unleashing creativity and building community joy through the arts? Apply now to join the Washington Improv Theater Board of Directors.
Washington Improv Theater (WIT) is the District’s premier destination for longform improv, with the mission to unleash the creative power of improv in the Washington, D.C. metro region. WIT engages audiences with performances that exhilarate and inspire; ignites the spirit of play in Washington with a revolutionary training program; and creates a home for improv, connected to the life of the city.
Humanity-Centered, Creating Community, Inclusion, Diversity, Transparency, Playfulness, Creative Ambition, Collaboration
We are currently accepting applications from visionary and dynamic individuals interested in advancing WIT’s mission to make a lasting impact in our community. This is an extraordinary opportunity to shape the strategic direction and future success of our organization. As part of the WIT Board of Directors, you will serve as a key leader, driving strategic governance and decision-making, fostering collaboration, planning, fundraising and recruiting, all while championing our dedication to positive change. You could make a tremendous impact on the WIT Board of Directors if you have
- Extensive professional experience with significant leadership accomplishments in business, government, philanthropy, fundraising/development, and/or the nonprofit sector
- An understanding of or willingness to learn about the WIT community
- Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, reliability, curiosity
- Expertise in the local commercial real estate and property development industry, local government advocacy, finance, DEI strategy and implementation or nonprofit law are helpful, but not required.
Each member of the WIT Board of Directors serves as an active advocate and ambassador for WIT within the Washington, D.C. metro region, fully engaging in promoting WIT’s reputational standing, identifying partnership opportunities and participating in fundraising and recruitment activities that help further the organization’s mission. Directors should expect to
- give a meaningful personal financial donation (currently $2400, which can be fulfilled partly via fundraising, but with a $500 minimum direct cash donation) that reflects WIT as a philanthropic priority
- identify personal connections to benefit WIT’s fundraising and reputational standing
- participate fully in one or more committees and prepare for and attend quarterly board meetings
- dedicate ~5-8 hours a month to Boardwork
- ensure WIT’s commitment to a diversity, reflective of the community it serves
- follow WIT’s bylaws, policies, code of conduct and board resolutions
- serve a three-year term, eligible for re-appointment for additional three-year terms
- maintain confidentiality about all internal matters of the organization
Are you ready to make a meaningful difference? We invite you to express your interest here:
Nominations are open until 11:59 PM on Friday, Feb. 16, 2024. WIT’s Artistic/Executive Director Mark Chalfant and current board members recently held an online open house to answer any questions that potential nominees might have. A recording of that Q&A can be found here. Please use the passcode: hiTj+6yf